PHEMI brings privacy, performance, and enterprise-grade management to big data. Our flagship product, PHEMI Central lets organizations easily access and mine any variety of data at any volume — driving insights that lower costs, improve outcomes, and allow better decisions faster. PHEMI Central’s fine-grained access controls automatically enforce data sharing agreements and privacy policies at the data cell level. With PHEMI, enterprises are able to remove critical roadblocks and realize their potential as data-driven organizations.
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Software Development Manager to join our growing team! You are a self-starter, resilient and creative. You are interested in big data systems, scale and security and first-class software engineering in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Your technical and leadership skills will guide the evolution of our flagstone PHEMI Central System. Bring your energy, passion and pride and create amazing applications and platforms that our innovative customers use to get more value from data while providing best in class security, privacy and governance.
- Lead a team of diverse and talented software engineers.
- Be the driving and supporting force for the team and grow your team’s engineering abilities and velocity over time.
- Be accountable for the successful implementation, quality, security and velocity of features and infrastructure improvements from your team.
- Actively and effectively contribute to planning, architecture and design decisions and long-term strategy while providing technical direction and expertise to your team.
- Provide career development and mentoring to team members and other developers on a technical level and support process improvements to drive higher quality and productivity.
- Interface with customer facing teams and cross-functional peer groups to help troubleshoot, prioritize and resolve issues in production environments.
- Apply your knowledge of management, software development methodologies, best practices and proven processes to deliver a quality software product on budget, within planned schedule with superb quality.
- Regularly interact with senior management and represent team in product and process review.
- Occasionally contributing to development tasks such as coding, code reviews, quality planning and feature verification to help where needed and keep your technical perspective sharp.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to dive into the technical details and drive resolutions as needed.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including executive level presentation skills and organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to create commercial applications specifically using HADOOP ecosystem is a strong plus: the more experience in the following, the better: Cloudera, Hortonworks, Accumulo, YARN, Spark, Zeppelin, R.
- Knowledge of Big Data Technologies; including Hadoop, Spark
- Ability to dissect problems to come up with alternatives and willingness to take risk with established mitigation strategy.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- 5-10 years experience successfully leading robust software development teams with a demonstrated track record on technically complex and demanding projects. Experience delivering in an agile development process.
- Masters or Bachelor’s Degree required in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience applying professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI, build processes, testing and operations.
- Experience in large distributed software design and development.
- Experience with Data Integration, ETL, Metadata or Big Data concepts and applications or other closely related experience.
- Experience developing/delivery in cloud services is a plus.
Why you should join
We’re on a roll! PHEMI continues to receive recognition around the world, already in 2017 we have earned a place on Ready to Rocket’s Digital Health list; this follows on last year’s Ready to Rocket list as one of BC’s technology companies with the highest growth potential. In 2016 we received Datanami Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Award for “Best Big Data Innovator: Data Management.” PHEMI is a SC Magazine 2016 Trust Award Finalist, one of Network World’s 2016 “big data and analytics companies to watch,” and one of CB Insights’ 2016 “13 Early-Stage Startups to Watch in Canada.” In 2015, PHEMI was recognized by Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50™ “Company to Watch” Award.
There’s never been a better time to join PHEMI, and there are even bigger things to come. Our leadership team has taken numerous early stage companies to great commercial success and our technology team is second to none. We’re energetic and dedicated collaborators, committed to changing how industries discover and drive value from their data. We encourage our employees to stretch their boundaries and develop innovative solutions. We regularly celebrate our successes with pizza, popsicles, relay races, and dodgeball tournaments!
Great people. Great technology. Great opportunity.